Monday, June 15, 2009
Posted by Leila
I have lots of walls. Big, blank, empty walls.
For a long time I've been hoarding some posters that are actually pages from a calendar. To go on this particular wall that is in the upstairs back hall.
Yes, I have two halls in my upstairs.
This one is up the back stairs. It has hardly any light, hence the funky pictures and the brightest marigold paint we could find to brighten things up and not clash with the miles of sort of barn red wall-to-wall carpet that we are just living with for a decade or two. You don't replace miles of carpet lightly, let me tell you. I don't hate it and it's in pretty good condition. It keeps us warm in the winter. I work around it.
So the calendar was the property of a friend of Rosie's. He gave the pages to her. She put them on her walls in her room, then gave them to Sukie. She put them on the walls in her apartment in Chicago while studying at U of C, then gave them to me.
They sat in a pile in the linen closet for about a year. Then, in the midst of kitchen flooring (you can tell from the picture that yes, there is no floor), I must have been seized by the desire to get something, anything, under control, because I put them in glass frames.
Oh, I know what it was! I had a coupon for 25% off my whole order at Michael's! So I decided to use it on these frames, which I really like because of their simplicity and ease. You have a poster that isn't the world's greatest art -- just put them in one of these already and get on with your life!
One reason for procrastination was that these particular items of course do not fit into any standard frame size.
Is this what's holding you back from framing things you like? Because it holds me back, let me tell you.
But here's what to do. Get a larger size and make a "mat" to go underneath the poster -- out of any random paper that goes. In this case, the actual ad for the frame works great and, of course, is the correct size.
There was only one little glitch: the bar code showed through the paper of the poster. But I was in a very hacky mood. I grabbed a marker and -- voila!
I had to trim the sides a tiny bit... and with the red paper underneath, it all worked.
A little spray glue and we're in business.
Yesterday the Chief and I did not get a divorce putting these up in a straight line, evenly spaced, on this vast, but by no means the most vast in this house, wall.
Back here, in the very most nether reaches of this hall, the carpet is a little baggy and saggy. But oh well, I'm not dealing with it now! You can't make me!
Instead, I direct your eyes to the cheery orange and the posters that were well worth the wait, since they really make me happy!
Thanks to Ann Kroeker for the link on Make-Do Mondays!